History Curriculum (Curriculum Designer & Leader: Natalie Gilligan)
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- know and understand the history of these islands as a coherent, chronological narrative from the earliest times to present da: how people's lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- Know and understand specific aspects of the history of the wider world: the nature of ancient civilisations; the expansion and dissolution of empires; characteristic features of past non-European societies; achievements and follies of mankind
- gain and deploy a historically-grounded understanding of anstract terms such as "empire" , "civilisation", "parliament" and "peasantry"
- understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically-valid questions and create their own structured accounts, including written narratievs and analyses
- understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how eveidence is used rigorously to make historical claim, and discern how and why contrasting arguments and interpretations of the past have been constucted
- gain historical perspective by placing growing knowledge into different contexts, understanding the connections between local, regional, national amd international history; between cultural, economic, military, political, religious and social history; and between short and long-term time scales.
In the EYFS we use the EYFS framework that is structured differently to the national curriculum as it organised across the seven areas of learning rather than a subject area. Please see the History LTP which contains Nursery and Reception planning.
Each unit is accompanied by a Knowledge Mat (click on the curriculum tab). This gives the key learning and vocab that your child is expected to know at the end of the unit.
Please read the History Long Term Plan (LTP) which details the teaching of History thoughout the school.